Student award winners receive a certificate, a gift card to the campus bookstore, and an invitation to attend the annual Susan Sutton Smith Lecture and reception. Dr. Florian Reyda, professor of biology, will deliver this year's Susan Smith Lecture titled, "Parasites, Evolution and Us," at 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 11, in the Otsego Grille of the Morris Conference Center on campus.
Created to recognize faculty achievement outside the classroom, the Susan Sutton Smith Faculty Prize for Academic Excellence is named in memory of the late SUNY Oneonta professor of English. Dr. Reyda is the 23rd recipient of this prize. This event and the student awards are made possible by the generous gifts of SUNY Oneonta Alumni to the 2016-2017 Fund for Oneonta.The Susan Sutton Smith Faculty Prize for Academic Excellence is made possible by an endowment created through the generosity of Dr. Thomas and Mrs. Mary Smith in memory of their daughter, Susan, and in honor of her commitment to academic excellence. The lecture is free and open to the public.
The following area students received the Susan Sutton Smith Award:
- Aracely Hernandez of Elba; Spanish major;
- Mallory Kerman of Getzville; Fashion and Textiles major;
- Andrea Less of Honeoye Falls; Dietetics major;
- Karly Schuhart of Penfield; Child and Family Studies major;
- Danny Schweikhard of West Falls; Adolescence Educ.: Mathematics major;
- Marianne Swan of Hilton; Psychology major;