NIAGARA UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS
NIAGARA UNIV. -- The Niagara baseball team earned a come-from-behind victory over Buffalo on Tuesday, defeating the Bulls, 22-15.
Final Score: Niagara 22, Buffalo 15
Game Leaders: Owen Dziados (5 RBI, 3 hits), Tanner Kirwer (3 RBI, 4 hits)
Records: Niagara (22-19), Buffalo (16-28)
Location: Bobo Field – Niagara University, N.Y.
- The Bulls got off to a quick start on offense in the top of the first inning, taking a 5-0 lead over the Purple Eagles with help from a grand slam from designated hitter Kyle Brennan.
- NU chipped away at Buffalo's lead in the bottom of the first. With bases loaded, Philippe Langlois doubled to left field, scoring Kirwer and Darian Blanks to put the Purple Eagles down by only three, 5-2.
- A three-run homerun from Brennan in the top of the second, however, put the Bulls ahead, 8-2. In the bottom of the second, RBI singles from Kirwer and Greg Cullen and a score on an error by the Bulls catcher put Niagara's deficit back at three runs, 8-5.
- The Bulls tacked on three runs, including a two-run homer from Brian Dudek, in the top of the third to take the 11-5 lead, but the Purple Eagles came out strong on offense in the bottom of the inning. RBI singles from Kirwer, Cullen, Peter Battaglia and Dziados and an RBI double from Trevor McCauley tied up the score, 11-11.
- A six-run effort, with scores from Battaglia, McCauley, Dziados, Wyatt Olson, Joel Brophy and Nick Bernick, in the bottom of the fifth inning put the Purple Eagles in the lead, 17-11.
- Buffalo scored twice in the top of the sixth to come within four runs of the Niagara lead, 17-13, but the Purple Eagles continued their offensive momentum in the bottom of the seventh. RBI singles from Blanks and Kirwer put NU up, 19-13, but a huge play from Dziados would push Niagara's run count over 20. With bases loaded, Dziados doubled to left center, driving home three runs to give Niagara the 22-13 lead.
- A two-run homer from the Bulls in the top of the ninth was not enough to overcome the Purple Eagles, who came away with the victory in their highest scoring game of the season so far.
Inside the Numbers
- Dziados led Niagara with a career-high five RBI. He also had three hits, tying his season-high.
- Battaglia and Kirwer led the team in hits with four each.
- Blanks and Kirwer had a team-best three stolen bases each and Blanks led the team in runs scored with four.
- Six players (Battaglia, Kirwer, Cullen, McCauley, Dziados, Langlois) recorded two or more RBI.
- On the mound, James Walker (1-0) picked up his first career win. He struck out a career-best six batters in 3.0 innings pitched.
- The Purple Eagles host their final home series of the regular season when they welcome the Siena Saints to Bobo Field May 11-12. The teams will play a doubleheader starting at 12:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 11 and a single game starting at 12:00 p.m. on Friday, May 12. The team's graduating seniors will be honored before Friday's game.
Stay connected with the Purple Eagles through social media. Follow Niagara Athletics on Twitter @NUPurpleEagles and @NiagaraBASE. Check in with the Purple Eagles on Facebook/PurpleEagles and on Instagram @NUPurpleEagles.