NIAGARA UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS
EASTON, Pa. – The Niagara baseball team earned a dominant 14-5 win over the Lafayette Leopards on Sunday.
Final Score: Niagara 14, Lafayette 5
Game Leaders: Peter Battaglia (3 RBI, 3 hits), Joseph Tevlin (2 RBI, 2 hits)
Records: Niagara (21-19), Lafayette (8-44)
Location: Kamine Stadium – Easton, Pa.
- The Purple Eagles got on the board in the top of the second inning with RBI singles from Tevlin and Nick Bernick and led the Leopards, 2-0, going into the third.
- Two RBI singles from Darian Blanks and RBI singles from Greg Cullen, Trevor McCauley and Tevlin contributed to an eight-run fourth inning for the Purple Eagles and put them comfortably ahead of Lafayette, 10-0.
- NU extended its lead in the top of the sixth; with bases, loaded, Battaglia doubled to left center, scoring all three runners to put Niagara up, 13-0.
- Lafayette scored five runs in the bottom of the seventh to put a dent in Niagara's lead, 13-5, but the Purple Eagles were undaunted. In the top of the ninth, Matt Zaremba singled through the right side to score McCauley for the final run of the game.
Inside the Numbers
- Battaglia led the Purple Eagles with three RBI and Battaglia, McCauley and Wyatt Olson each had a team-best three hits.
- Blanks and Tevlin each recorded two RBI and two hits.
- Zaremba's single in the top of the ninth was the first hit of his collegiate career.
- On the mound, starter Nate Mascellino threw 4.0 scoreless innings. He fanned four, walked none and allowed only two hits.
- Nigel Stearns (1-0) earned the win for Niagara. He struck out two batters in 2.0 innings pitched.
- The Purple Eagles host crosstown rival Buffalo for a single game on Tuesday, May 9 at 3:00 p.m.
Stay connected with the Purple Eagles through social media. Follow Niagara Athletics on Twitter @NUPurpleEagles and @NiagaraBASE. Check in with the Purple Eagles on Facebook/PurpleEagles and on Instagram @NUPurpleEagles.